Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cord Basket

I made this basket for my daughter,
She wanted a large shallow one for underneath her bed. 
For her magazines, glasses, 
and all the stuff you put on your night stand.
She can slide it out of sight.
When she showed me what she wanted I said 
"I can make that"
She actually rolled her eyes at me, can you believe that.
But I do say that quite often.
But I think I actually surprised her when I sent her a picture of the finish project.



All you need is cotton cording, like for clothes lines.
They have different sizes at Joann Fabrics.
I went up one size from clothes line.
See the red clip on the cord, I laid it out on the floor before I started to see where I wanted to start turning up the edges. I guess you wouldn't have to do that, but I only had 20 yards and had to make sure I had enough to make the sides.

Take strips of fabric about 1 1/8" 
No need for precise cutting.
And you don't have to worry about frayed edges.
Use a glue stick to start, wrap over the edge of the cord and then diagonally to cover. When you get to the edge, add more glue and add the next strip.
Sorry for the out of focus


Determine the size you want and put the cord side by side and use a zig zag stitch to join.  
When you are ready for your sides to form, 
Just hold up the flat side and it takes the shape of a bowl.




Hope you like it little girl!
It's on it's way, be on the look out!



1 comment:

Thank you for your comment, we look forward to reading it.